Friday, May 20, 2011

Smudge and MSL deck


The smudge isn't that bad in real life, but it won't come off:

So I painted another skateboard yesterday, here it is:

I was asked to make it for a skateboard mag called Concrete Wave, who have a booth that travels with the Vans Warped Tour that will be displaying the boards they get. I think they asked around 20 artists (or maybe they had 20 charities, and they asked a ton of artists...) to participate, who choose a charity to make the deck for. The board will eventually be sold and all the money goes to the charity. I chose Music Saves Lives as mine. They focus on blood donation, and are repped by a bunch of new pop-punky-screamy-bangs-in-the-face bands I've never heard of, but none of the other artists chose them, and they also have a big booth at the Warped Tour, so I thought it was a good idea. I think the skateboard mag will put it in one of the summer issues, so that would be cool! Anyways, here are some process and detail shots:


I'm not super pumped on how this came out, but I think that violin is cool. I wonder if I'll ever be good at drawing wings?

So if you're going to the Warped tour... Check it out?

11 comments:

GARZA said...

Awesome board dude! I love how you can make great characters out of anything!

Matt said...

I guess it's time to paint your kitchen purple. :D

Sweet deck, dude.

amanduh said...

i don't skate, but i want that deck.

amanduh said...

i don't skate, but i want that deck.

Robin Cain said...

Omgosh Sam! That deck is awesome! I want it too!

No biggie about the smudge. Heck I have a permanent ink blotch on my eyelid from my rapidograph pen. I just wear it with pride. Purple looks good next to the fridge!

sam said...

whoa that's pretty awesome robin! i sorta wish I had a permanent ink stain! I WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW!

tintorcio said...

sweet board!

Garrett Burke said...

Dudeeee that's sweet - check out the ones I just did! http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ohu9axJLk5Y/TdltTaL9OOI/AAAAAAAAAHk/xwU-g3C-V7Y/s1600/IMG_0375.JPG

And just get a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - those ALWAYS work

Sam Spina said...

those are sweet garrett! old school!

Benjamin Vaughn said...

Awesome board. Liked the step by step.

Tyler said...

sick man!