Monday, March 22, 2010

Brush talk


I'm really into drawing utensils, I love trying new pens, I love hearing what people use, I love going to art stores and buying stuff. I first heard about Widsor & Newton'sSeries 7 brushes in an interview with Jeff Smith, because it's what he uses. I couldn't justify spending that much on a brush (around $30), so I just kept using my cheap brushes and kept saying I would eventually get a nice one. After I used one for the first time yesterday, it was obvious that it is far superior to any brush I've ever used, BUT I still think I prefer my Pentel Pocket Brush Pen, which kind of bums me out! Samantha bought me the Pocket Brush Pen for Christmas after I told her I wanted one (because it's what Craig Thompson uses), and I thought it would be the perfect travel brush. Turns out it is the perfect anytime brush and it's all I use anymore, and I was hoping getting the Series 7 brush would change that. It's just crazy that a portable brush, that you never have to clean or physically dip into ink, that only costs $12, could be the best brush I've ever used. Long story short: BUY ONE OF THESE!!!

11 comments:

GARZA said...

nice dude! I'm the same way about brushes, I cheap out on a lot of them because I feel so bad buying expensive brushes, one of my old teachers had brushes that were like $100 each! FML! that pocket pen looks really sick, I think I will have to get one soon, one pen I fell in love with is the faber-castell pitt artist pen big brush, I've been using it on like everything for a good 3 months now and it hasn't faded at all yet!

Robin Cain said...

I just saw a guy on youtube using one of these brushes. It looks like it really takes a steady hand which I don't have.... (yet?) And $30 is a lot for a brush you have to dip! I would love to try the brush pen... but I have two other brands so I can't justify buying another one right now. Plus I want a set of copic colored markers. Crap, it never ends does it???

I love the picture of you looking at your new brush. I completely relate with that excited feeling when you get new art supplies. THe best. feeling. in. the. world. (well, one of the best anyway...)

Isaac said...

I really enjoyed night fisher, but was kinda sad through it.

Kid Trails said...

that brush pen IS the shit dude

Rafael Tapia III said...

Awesome! hearing your stories with utensils makes me want to go all out. it's very justifiable. definitely! especially for something used in your craft/livelihood.

Kelsey said...

i may be a nerd for admitting this, but this kindof reminded me of when harry potter got his fancy mancy broom and all his friends were jealous.

Amalgamated Biscuit said...

I love trying out different pens and brushes. I'm not sure if I have the control to use brushes for line work, I'm too used to pushing down hard with a pencil/pen. I wouldn't mind trying out one of those Pentel Brush pens though, are they very fine or are they quite thick?

Anyway love the comics you post up here.

Anthony Woodward said...

I went to a comic camp on the weekend, we've started a blog about it. Take a look at the bottom of the second photo in this link
http://chugnutcomics.blogspot.com/2010/03/camp-pics.html

girlfacedana said...

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! they're going out of busines!?

Sam Spina said...

@A biscuit: the brush pen i'm talking about gets SUPER fine and pretty think too, but it's pretty much like using a brush. it has bristles and stuff...

and anthony, that cartooning camp looks SICK

Matt said...

I've got crazy respect for anyone that can use a brush. My stuff is way too tiny and my hand is way too shaky to use them. I do love seeing you experiment with your comics, though.